Here’s a list of articles about Zappos’ new self-management style and a few definitions to help you wrap your mind around everything!
Holacracy: “is a social technology or system of organizational governance in which authority and decision-making are distributed throughout a holarchy of self-organizing teams rather than being vested in management hierarchy.”
Founder: Brian Robertson
Summary: rather than managers managing people, work is managed by self formed teams that contain those individuals that hold roles required to accomplish the work.
- Self Management – driven by peer relationships
- Wholeness – involving the whole person at work
- Evolutionary purpose – let the organization adapt and grow, not be driven
Summary: A self-managed organization driven by peer relationships allowing a company to adapt and grow vs. being driven.
Author “Reinventing Organizations” – Frederic Laloux
Buy The Book:
The Offer: Zappos offers severance to employees who are not interested in moving forward with the new management style.
Read the internal Offer Memo: Click Here
Interested in Learning More? Check out the followng articles:
- Holacracy – Zappos Insights
- Make send of Zappos an Holacracy
- Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh: Adopt Holacracy or Leave
- Holawhat? Meet the Alt-Management System Invented by a Programmer and used by Zappos
- Holacracy at Zappos: “Its’ not anarchy,” co founder says
- Holacracy at Zappos: It’s either the future or management or a social experiment gone awry
- Here’s how the self management system that Zappos is using actually works